Sunday 6 May 2012

Origami Heart Necklace

Hey everyone,

It origami time!

I have always been fascinated by paper folding but had little to do with a bunch of folded paper. Add to that my near-convulsive reaction to wasting things and I, unsurprisingly, never really got into folding paper for fun. Fortunately, I am into fabric and it turns out the two go together beautifully.

Without further ado The Origami Heart Necklace
ps, that's a baby not a beer belly :D














Step One:
You'll need three squares of paper (about an 1.5") for the small hearts and one big one for the big heart. I used paper but it does mean the necklace can't get wet. There are other fabric stiffening materials that are probably ideal. I didn't think about that till later as I'm a bit of a spaz.


Step Two:
Choose your fabric, cut a square with a little bit of a seam allowance (just enough for the stitching) and pin.


Step Three:
Sew the fabric square to the paper square. I chose cotton from an old tshirt as it won't fray too badly (this fabric is actually left over from my Dinosaur T-shirt refashion).

Front


And back.

Step Four:
Fold those suckers into four origami hearts.
Here's a great tutorial.

Step Five:
Sew your first heart to your choice of necklace. I used a braided thin, white yarn. Metal would look great but it irritates my skin.


 Step Six:
Get everyone else one there and...

Voila!

Origami Heart Necklace


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!